Outstanding Young Trial Lawyer Award
Each year, the New Lawyers Section presents the Outstanding Young Trial Lawyer Award to a promising new attorney. All licensed attorneys are eligible to submit a nomination. To be eligible, a nominee must be a licensed attorney under 40 years of age or in practice less than 10 years who has shown outstanding dedication to the Wisconsin Association for Justice. Consideration will also be given to the nominee’s pro bono work, community service, contributions to diversity, and professional achievement.
Nomination Deadline: Nominations are accepted through September 17th each year.
The Outstanding Young Trial Lawyer Award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated strong commitment to the goals for which the Wisconsin Association for Justice was established:
- Promotion of the administration of justice for the public good
- Upholding the honor and dignity of the profession of law
- Upholding the right of trial by jury
- Preserving and enhancing the rights of persons to have access to the Courts and our system of justice, and to afford everyone a full, fair and timely remedy for wrongs done
- Nominee cannot receive Outstanding Young Trial Lawyer Award and Robert L. Habush Trial Lawyer of the Year Award in the same year
This award recognizes a trial lawyer who has shown exceptional dedication to these goals, and has upheld them in various ways, including handling a case involving a significant change in the law or a precedent-setting suit, by their support of WAJ through work in the WAJ organization, pro-bono or other volunteerism that benefited injured consumers, or efforts designed to improve and preserve the American civil justice system.
Nominations Should Include the Following:
- Nominator contact information; nominee's current bio; contact information for current employer; a letter that describes nominee's achievements, independent letters of reference, relevant press clips and list of published work or other supporting material.
Types of Nominations Accepted: Self-nomination, attorney nominations and/or peer nomination.
Judging Committee: Past Three (3) chairs of the New Lawyer Section and Officer (Secretary).
Award Presentation Time and Location: Award will be presented as part of WAJ's Winter Seminar & Annual Meeting. Normally at 7:30 pm at the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee. Award will be presented by WAJ's President.
Awarded: The Award recipient receives an engraved keepsake.
Number of Awards Each Year: WAJ will award one lawyer award each year.
Award Submission and Questions:
- Contact Bryan Roessler of WAJ at 608-210-3390
- Submit nominations to Bryan Roessler at email@example.com or by mail at 14 West Mifflin Street, Suite 207, Madison, WI 53703
Past Award Recipients:
2017: Brian Laule, River Falls
2016: Peter M. Young, Rhinelander